Exponent’s Health Economics and Outcomes Research consultants determine the "value for money" of new medical technologies. We specialize in:
- Evaluating the impact of pharmaceuticals, medical devices, nutraceuticals, biotechnology products, and diagnostics on treatment patterns, medical care resource utilization, and health care costs
- Assessing the changes in health outcomes that result from new medical technologies, including decreased mortality, reduced disease cases or symptoms, improved quality of life, and increased patient satisfaction
- Quantifying changes in health outcomes relative to their costs and to the costs of competing health-care interventions, allowing assessment of the appropriate value for these new medical technologies
- Disseminating results through posters, presentations, and publications
Our services include:
- Cost-of-illness studies
- Cost-effectiveness and cost-utility models
- Opportunity and market evaluations for product development and licensing decisions
- Value-based pricing
Clinical Trial-Based Services
- Design of economic and outcomes components for clinical trials
- Analysis and modeling of clinical trial data
- Clinical trial outcomes data collection and data management
Post-Approval/Phase IV Studies
- Budget impact models
- Naturalistic prospective studies
- Patient preference evaluations
- Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) assessments
- Post-marketing safety assessments
Real-World Outcomes Applications
- Physician decision-making studies
- Work-site-based studies (productivity and safety)
- Activity-based costing (micro-costing, time and motion studies)
- User-friendly interactive computer models
Our methods include:
Medical Claims Analyses
- Commercial insurer claims data analysis
- Medicare claims analysis
- Analysis of national survey data (e.g., NAMCS, MEPS, NIS)
- Instrument development (focus groups, cognitive debriefing, pilot testing)
- Validation (reliability and validity testing)
- Interpretation (effect size, clinically meaningful difference)
Literature Review and Synthesis
- Systematic review
- Decision analytic models
- Markov models
Beyond standard health outcomes and economics research services, Exponent offers related services:
- Our Statistical and Data Sciences group has extensive data resources (including ten years of Medicare claims) and is skilled in all phases of data collection and analysis, from survey design and database development to complex analyses for both health and non-health applications, such as clinical trial data analysis and product failure assessment.
- Our Epidemiology and Toxicology consultants have extensive experience in applying epidemiological principles to a variety of health questions, including community and workplace exposure assessments, pharmacoepidemiology studies, and toxicity and risk assessments. In these studies, we commonly work jointly with medical directors and benefit managers of Fortune 500 companies.
- Our Biomechanics practice and other consultants in medical devices are accomplished in design and testing of products, evaluations of market potential and patent issues, and work with Health Economics and Outcomes Research consultants to evaluate cost-effectiveness.
- Exponent’s industrial engineers assist in the design and implementation of scientifically rigorous activity-based costing (time and motion) studies.
- Our Human Factors consultants can work with you to design packaging, labels, and instructions to optimize use and minimize misuse of your product.
- Exponent’s Chemical Regulation and Food Safety center has expertise in working with the FDA and EU on regulatory issues for foods, additives, supplements, and chemicals, including nutrition content, health claims, and safety assessments.