Dr. Miller is internationally recognized for applying experimental and risk assessment approaches to the understanding of the behavior and control of foodborne hazards. His proven ability to integrate scientific and regulatory expertise has influenced the U.S. government’s programs and policies and food industry practices since the 1980’s.
Prior to joining Exponent in 2005, Dr. Miller completed over 30 years of distinguished federal service, holding senior research and executive regulatory positions within both the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). He was with the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition (FDA-CFSAN) from 1998 to 2005, serving as the FDA’s Lead Scientist for the National Food Safety Initiative, CFSAN’s Lead Scientist for Microbiology and, the Associate Director for the Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN). . Dr. Miller was twice certified by peer-review to the Senior Biomedical Research Service, the highest federal scientific rank and served on FDA’s Senior Science Council. Previously, Dr. Miller was Research Leader for Microbial Food Safety, directing USDA’s largest food safety research laboratory at the Agriculture Research Service’s Eastern Regional Research Center (ARS-ERRC). Dr. Miller began his career with the USDA Meat and Poultry Inspection Program.
Dr. Miller received over fifty awards and honors, including election as a Fellow of the Institute of Food Technologists and the Food Safety Award, given by the International Association for Food Protection. He has published extensively in the area of food protection and lectured on all food producing continents. Dr. Miller advises clients on agriculture, food, and consumer product safety. His expertise spans pre- and post- market scientific and regulatory matters, food safety research and risk assessments, and emergency and consequence management.
- Ph.D., Environmental Science, Drexel University, 1984
- M.S., Food Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1977
- B.S., Biology, Kansas State University, 1972
- FDA Commissioner’s Special Citation, Programs to improve safety of food imports, FDA, 2007
- Elected Fellow, Institute of Food Technologist, 2006
- FPA Food Safety Award, International Association for Food Protection, 2006
- Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service, Leadership counterterrorism programs, 2003
- Certificate of Recognition, California Department of Health Services, 2001
- International Honor Award, USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service, 1999
- Manager of the Year, Philadelphia Federal Executive Board, 1998
- Excellence in Technology Transfer Award, Federal Laboratory Consortium, 1998
- Certificate of Appreciation, US-Israel Binational Agriculture Research & Development Fund, 1996
- Certificate of Appreciation for efforts leading to the adoption of the USDA HACCP/Pathogen Reduction Regulation, 1996
- Secretary’s Award for Superior Service for Predictive Microbiology, USDA, 1994
- Elected Member, Sigma Xi (National Research Honorary), 1984
- Elected Member, Environmental Mutagen Society, 1981
- Elected Member, Gamma Delta Sigma (National Agricultural Honorary), 1976
- Advisory Board member, Department of Food Science, Pennsylvania State University
- Agriculture Council, College of Agricultural Sciences, Pennsylvania State University