No issue challenges a firm more then when their product is linked to a foodborne illness outbreak. Foodborne hazards include chemical, microbiological, and physical agents that can adulterate products and can result in harm. As scientific breakthroughs improve analytical method sensitivity and provides better traceability of products across the supply and distribution chain, growers, processors, retailers and food service operators need to have at their disposal assets to address allegations that their products made people sick.
Exponent has the experience, skills, and staff to address these foodborne illness allegations, having worked on many of the recent high visibility outbreaks. Our team that addresses all foodborne hazards includes medical and public health, scientific, technical, and regulatory professionals. We assist clients in crisis situations.
Exponent front-line consultants include former regulatory and public health officials who understand the outbreak investigation procedures used by regulatory and health departments. Members of our staff have worked with regulators at FDA and USDA, key health officials at CDC, and their state and local counterparts. We understand how to communicate issues using a science-based approach.
Our regulatory efforts are supported by Exponent’s scientific, technical, and medical staff, which include:
- Science – food safety, epidemiologists, nutrition, microbiology, toxicology, chemistry, risk assessment, biostatistics
- Technical – engineering, product quality systems
- Medical – physicians, veterinarians, nurses
Exponent can assist companies in the following ways:
- Evaluate medical, epidemiological, environmental inspection, and laboratory records.
- Evaluate grower, plant, distribution, retailer or food service records
- Conduct on-site inspections of growing fields, animal operations, processing plants, distribution centers, retail and food service establishments
- Develop sampling plans
- Conduct independent laboratory analyses
- Advise legal or insurance professionals
- Advise on recall procedures
When such a disaster strikes, let Exponent provide your firm with the confidence to do the right thing to protect consumers and protect your brand.