Exponent’s site investigation and remediation consulting practice provides focused environmental studies, cost-effective remedial solutions, and positive regulatory outcomes to industry clients. Our multidisciplinary staff of chemists, engineers, ecologists, geologists, hydrologists, soil scientists, and toxicologists offers the breadth of technical experience that allows our clients to achieve their business needs and strategic objectives while remaining in compliance with regulatory requirements.
We have extensive project experience under the following regulatory frameworks:
- CERCLA remedial investigation/feasibility studies (RI/FSs)
- RCRA facility investigations/corrective measure studies (RFIs/CMSs)
- State-led voluntary cleanup programs (VCPs)
- State-led CERCLA programs
- Technical analyses to support Environmental Impact Statements (EISs)
- Brownfields regulations
Our services include:
- Regulatory strategy development
- Field investigation design and program management
- Data management and database development
- Transport and fate analysis, including simple and sophisticated modeling of indoor and outdoor air, soils (vadose zone), surface water, sediments, and groundwater
- Natural attenuation studies
- Bioavailability studies
- Sediment investigations
- Human health and ecological risk assessment
- Remedial alternatives analysis
- Bench-scale testing
- Remediation and redevelopment oversight
- Remediation technology evaluation
- Liability management
We investigate sites and facilities to identify chemical contaminants in air, soil, sediment, surface water, and groundwater that may pose a risk to human health and/or the environment. The goals of these investigations vary among sites and facilities, depending on the regulatory framework, the types of chemicals and exposure conditions, and the eventual use or disposition of the property or facility.
Depending on the site conditions, Exponent scientists and engineers use a variety of innovative strategies to protect human health and the environment while reducing or avoiding unnecessary remediation costs. These strategies may include the use of bioavailability assessment, focused remediation, or natural attenuation approaches. We also incorporate phased approaches to ensure that investigations and possible remedial actions remain focused and cost effective.
Our demonstrated success in understanding our clients’ needs, and in applying sound scientific, engineering, economic, and management skills at a variety of sites and diverse facilities, has earned Exponent an outstanding reputation.