- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Colorado, Denver, 2012
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, 2000
- Professional Engineer Civil, Arizona, #62187
- Professional Engineer, Colorado, #PE.0040178
- Professional Engineer, Iowa, #P27236
- Professional Engineer, Kansas, #PE21570
- Professional Engineer Civil, Massachusetts, #53237
- Professional Engineer, Missouri, #2013032909
- Professional Engineer, Montana, #PEL-PE-LIC-19111
- Professional Engineer, New Mexico, #19272
- Professional Engineer Civil, Nevada, #20278
- Professional Engineer, Ohio, #PE.81125
- Professional Engineer, Oklahoma, #23864
- Professional Engineer, Oregon, #86627PE
- Professional Engineer Civil, South Dakota, #11409
- Professional Engineer, Utah, #7333300-2202
- Professional Engineer Civil, Washington, #55242
- Professional Engineer Civil, Wyoming, #PE 12138
- Asbestos Awareness Certification
- Certified Building Inspection Engineer (CBIE)
- Crane Signaling and Rigging Certification
- Licensed General Contractor
- OSHA #511 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry
- OSHA 30-Hour Training
- Safety Assessment Evaluator
- 2008 Larimer County Outstanding Professional of the Year
- American Society of Civil Engineers—ASCE
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers—ASHRAE
- National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers—NABIE
- Record Holder National Council of Examiners for Engineers & Surveyors—NCEES
- International Code Council —ICC
- International Code Council, Colorado Chapter (Code Change & Disaster Mitigation Committees)—COICC
- Technical Council on Forensic Engineering (Steering Committee for 7th Congress and Failure Investigation Committee)—TCFE
- ASTM International
- ASTM E06 Committee on Performance of Buildings, Member
- ASTM E06.51 Subcommittee on Performance of Windows, Doors, Skylights and Curtain Walls, Member
- Board of Directors, Bear Paw Lodge Homeowners Association, Secretary, Avon, Colorado
Mr. Bennett is a licensed civil engineer in 19 states and a licensed general contractor who has 20 years of experience in the design and construction industry. Mr. Bennett has a diverse background in Civil, Mechanical, and Architectural Engineering as those disciplines apply to buildings and infrastructure.
Mr. Bennett has hands-on construction experience working in the construction trades, including framing, excavation, concrete, adhered masonry veneer, construction of water resistive building envelopes, flooring, roofing, plumbing, mechanical, and finish carpentry. As an engineer, he has experience in the structural and architectural design of new buildings and the repair design of damaged structures. He has experience in the building code development process and has expertise in interpreting and applying building codes.
Mr. Bennett has investigated structural and architectural damage induced by expansive soils, hail, wind, tornadoes, seismic events, fires and explosions, rain, progressive ponding, construction vibrations, and snow events, as well as failures caused by design or construction defects. He has investigated building envelope failures caused by defects in flashing, stucco, exterior insulating finish systems (EIFSs), windows/doors, cladding, roofing, water-resistive barriers, and plaza deck failures. Mr. Bennett has conducted hundreds of investigations of both steep and low-slope roofing systems for damage caused by snow, hail, wind, and construction errors.
Mr. Bennett has performed building product research on engineered wood products (such as OSB and plywood) and the effects moisture has on the strength and moisture transmission properties of those materials. He has experience in investigating building product failures for such products, spray foam insulation (SPF), engineered wood, roofing products, and fiber cement siding.
Mr. Bennett has experience in investigating window and door performance and manufacturing problems. He has investigated window wall, curtain wall, and storefront glass systems in high rise and commercial buildings as well as typical residential windows . He is a member of the ASTM E06.51 Subcommittee on Performance of Windows, Doors, Skylights and Curtain Walls.
Mr. Bennett has an understanding of building physics, hygrothermal analysis, and diagnosing moisture and condensation problems in buildings. He has investigated HVAC system problems and their impact on the indoor environment as well as occupant thermal comfort complaints.
With experience as a General Contractor, expertise in the building codes, and having designed architectural and structural repairs for structures, Mr. Bennett has evaluated and performed damage cost estimates and cost allocation reports for damaged structures. Mr. Bennett has offered opinions regarding the Standard of Care of the General Contractor and the Engineer of Record.
As a civil engineer Mr. Bennett has experience in design of grading, drainage, transportation, and utility system infrastructure. He has experience in site design for commercial, industrial, mixed-use, single family, and multi-family projects.
Mr. Bennett has investigated several personal injury cases that occurred in and around structures including slip, trip, and fall incidents With his hands on experience in construction job site safety and an OSHA 30 certificate, he has investigated numerous incidents with construction related injuries.