Hong Kong Analytical and Surface Chemistry Laboratory Services
Exponent’s laboratory in Hong Kong has various facilities for analytical characterization of liquid and solid materials, with a specialization in surface chemistry analysis. Focus areas include the following:
- Time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (ToF-SIMS)
- Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR – transmission and ATR) spectroscopy
- Scanning probe microscopy (SPM) including atomic force microscopy (AFM)
- Dyne Pen Testing
- Contact angle measurements
- Plasma and corona surface treatment
- Ready access to X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and Raman spectroscopy
- Gas chromatography - mass spectrometry (GC-MS)
- Ready access to inductively coupled plasma with optical emission spectrometry (ICP-OES), inductively coupled plasma with mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) and ion chromatography (IC)
- Optical microscopy
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Ready access to optical profilometry, focused ion beam (FIB), and transmission electron microscopy (TEM)
Chemical Analysis for Root-Cause Investigations
Equipped with a comprehensive set of chemistry analysis tools, Exponent’s Hong Kong office has extensive experience resolving issues regarding delamination, adhesion, wettability, solderability, contamination, corrosion, discoloration, degradation, cosmetic appearance, and biocompatibility. The application space extends to various fields including microelectronics, printed circuit board manufacturing, consumer electronics, nanomaterials, paints and coatings, polymers, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, batteries, photovoltaic cells, biological materials, implantable medical devices, and construction materials. Exponent regularly provides recommendations for process improvements, R&D methodologies, process troubleshooting, and quality control.
Extractables and Leachables Testing
Exponent routinely performs extraction and leachable protocols for a wide range of materials. Simulated-use, exaggerated, and exhaustive extractions can be conducted on devices or components to identify the quantities and identities of the isolable material. The analytical data produced can support toxicological risk assessments on components of concern by our in-house toxicologists or provided directly to the client for their own analysis.
Our experts have assisted clients with quality assurance (QA/QC) test method validation to ensure that SOPs are properly developed and implemented. In addition to onsite manufacturing audits, we can assist in the verification and implementation of existing methods, either during technology transfer matters or other instances where analytical method adaptations are needed.