Air Pollutant Monitoring
Exponent has strong credentials in all aspects of air quality measurements, sampling and analysis methodology, and continuous monitoring. From compliance-oriented fence line data collection and analysis to specialized risk assessment and litigation support, protection of community health has been a key focus. The philosophy behind all our project applications is to employ the most appropriate technology in support of client needs and objectives. Our deep experience base allows us to incorporate any necessary measurement methodologies to address project objectives.
Whether for facility-specific studies around industrial air pollution sources or other routine regulatory purposes, our staff designs monitoring protocols, and installs and operates the latest approved EPA measurement methods, industry standard methods, or ad hoc specialty methods, based on the project needs. Along with the measurement instruments themselves, we also install systems for data acquisition, remote control, automated downloads, and real-time data analysis. Exponent staff are well versed in automated data collection and reporting, statistical analysis, and regulatory compliance review. We also integrate these systems with real-time air modeling systems.
- Fence line ambient air
- Fence line source control and assessment
- Area source
- Point source and process evaluation
- Indoor air
- Odor assessment
- Measurement technology
Details of these project categories are shown below:
Fence Line Ambient Air
- Compliance and enforcement-related fence line sampling and analysis for toxic metals
- Community protection and compliance at mine operations—particulate and radionuclides
- Community protection from nearby industrial operations—VOCs, particulates, toxics
- Assessment of impact to residences from open pit municipal waste incineration
- Downwind dispersion and community impact of emissions from commodity fumigation
- Community monitoring—receptor-based determination of impact from industrial process
- Community odor impact from agricultural operation.
Fence Line Source Control and Assessment
- Continuous fence line monitoring system for oil extraction operation—community protection and regulatory compliance
- Mine tailings monitoring for community impact and emissions dispersion.
- Assessment of area source emissions from dairy operations for ammonia emissions in the South Coast air basin
- Assessment of emissions for ozone precursors from dairy operations in San Joaquin Valley
- Determination of PM10 emissions and control measures from dairy operations in San Joaquin Valley
- Measurement of emissions during excavation at Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver, CO.
Point Source and Process Evaluation
- Measurement of emissions from multiple sources at semiconductor manufacturing plant
- Assessment of scrubber efficiency at circuit board manufacturing plant
- Determination of emissions and mass balance closure at container manufacturing plant
- Assessment of test methodology and emissions for compliance at hazardous waste landfill.
- Determination of impact of airborne toxics to occupants from subsurface contamination
- Measurement of entrainment of emissions into office building from nearby medical waste incinerator
- Data analysis of indoor air for detection of subsurface vapor intrusion.
- Performance evaluation of portable hand-held hydrogen sulfide analyzer
- Method development of acetylene derivatives for combustion process evaluation
- Continuous micro gas chromatographic analysis of multiple points at fence line and emission source
Remote Automated Data Collection
- Data telemetry via ad hoc RF networks
- Remote access via cellular modems
- Remote access via web interface.
- Assessment of impact from toxic fumigant emissions to nearby residents
- Evaluation of sensor applicability by comparison to reference methods.
Meteorological Data Collection
- In situ project-specific sensor implementation, including 3-D sonic anemometry and other advanced techniques
- Regional full meteorological data collection.
News & Events