Corrosion Testing & Batteries
Exponent leverages core competency in electrochemical, chemical, materials, mechanical and electrical engineering and science to provide comprehensive support for developers, manufacturers and end-users of portable electrochemical power supplies such as batteries, fuel cells and electrochemical (super) capacitors.
Our capabilities include:
- Material performance and safety evaluation (anode, cathode, electrolyte, separator, current collector, and packaging materials)
- Battery, fuel cell and capacitor performance, reliability, and safety evaluation
- Failure analysis and root cause determination
- Cell, pack, and management electronics design
- Pre-compliance testing (UN, UL, and BAJ)
- Custom abuse testing
When addressing challenges with capacitors, lithium-ion, lithium polymer, lead-acid, nickel-cadmium, nickel metal hydride, alkaline, and metal air battery chemistries as well as solid oxide PEM, direct methanol, and biological fuel cells.
Our consultants use state-of-the-art techniques including:
- Traditional electrochemical materials characterization and evaluation
- Full cell reference electrode testing
- Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy
- Charge/discharge cycling
- Accelerated rate calorimetry
- Coin cell testing
State-of-the-art laboratories at Exponent utilize Maccor battery testers, Gamry electrochemical analysis instruments, and a TIAX accelerated rate calorimeter. Our facilities include provisions for full environmental control including an argon-filled glove box, temperature, humidity and pressure controlled chambers, salt spray, and burn pads for destructive abuse testing.
Exponent routinely conducts testing to explore various aspects of lithium-ion battery safety including response to mechanical thermal and electrical abuse, cell thermal runaway propagation, and fire suppression. Some Exponent reports on this type of testing are available on the Portable Rechargeable Battery Association’s (PRBA) website: http://www.prba.org/prba/publications/battery_studies_and_reports/Default.ashx