- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, 2020
- B.S., Chemistry, Fairfield University, 2014
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor, University of California Berkeley, 2016
- Senior Chemistry Award Recipient, Fairfield University, 2014
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 2010
- American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Inorganic Chemistry, 2013
- American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry, 2012
Dr. Sullivan specializes in spectroscopy, optics, and instrumentation. Her research experience includes employing numerous spectroscopy methods, materials synthesis and characterization, and examining the chemical dynamics of small molecule systems. Her expertise lies in custom-built instrumentation and analytical software, laser systems, and high-vacuum technology.
Dr. Sullivan is also trained in Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), UV-visible absorption spectroscopy, Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), atomic absorption spectroscopy, and a range of mass spectrometry techniques. She is proficient in operating and maintaining a variety of high-power pulsed laser systems (i.e., excimer, Nd:YAG) and diagnosing equipment failures.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Sullivan obtained her Ph.D. from University of California Berkeley where she characterized the fundamental behavior of free radicals. She integrated unique instrumentation at multiple laser wavelengths to employ photofragment translational spectroscopy and photoelectron spectroscopy with the goal of understanding the chemical dynamics of atmospherically relevant free radicals. In addition to her graduate research background, Dr. Sullivan also has experience in maintaining and characterizing large-scale aquatic chemical systems at Walt Disney World Company.