- Ph.D., Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, 1979
- M.Phil., Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, 1977
- B.S., Biological Physics, University of California, Davis, 1975
- Rockefeller Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley Calvin Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories, 1979-1981
- National Science Foundation, National Needs Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1979
- U.S. Public Health Service, National Research Service Award, 1975
- California Society of Biochemistry Scholarship, 1974
- Outstanding Member Award, Western Agricultural Chemicals Association, 1988
- Member, Governor's Committee on Comparative Risk in California, 1994
- External Advisory Group Member, Environmental Protection Indicators for California (EPIC), 2001
- Advisory Panel Member, Quality and Role of Science at Cal-EPA. 2007
- Member, Consumer Specialty Products Association (CSPA) State Government Affairs Advisory Committee. 2004-Present
- Member of the Board, CSPA Antimicrobials Division, 2007-2015
- Chair, Western Crop Protection Association (WCPA) Regulatory Task Force, 1992-2014
- Chairman, Environmental Initiative Task Force, Western Agricultural Chemicals Association (WACA), 1989-1990
- Chairman, Government Affairs Committee and California Representatives Committee, WACA, 1988-1990
- Chairman, Regulatory Affairs Committee, WACA, 1988-1989
- Chairman, Proposition 65 Task Forces, WACA and National Agricultural Chemicals Association (NACA). 1987-1990
Dr. Arthur ("Artie") Lawyer has over 35 years of experience steering environmental public policy and scientific initiatives on behalf of chemical companies. He specializes in helping clients with scientific and regulatory issues at the state government level, including California Proposition 65, pesticides, and hazardous materials.
Dr. Lawyer relies on his scientific background in biochemistry and human health, strong relationships with regulators at state and federal agencies, and deep knowledge of best business practices to assist companies developing compliance strategies.
He has managed teams to handle complex scientific issues that intersect with unique state regulatory and scientific policies. He also manages pesticide registrations for clients in all 50 U.S. states.
Dr. Lawyer works with companies who manufacture and distribute products that contain listed substances under Proposition 65 evaluate their product lines, categorize potential exposures, and appropriately warn consumers of risks. This includes developing a management plan and centralized system to store safety data sheets (SDS), identify manufacturers that need to amend their products' statements under the Act, and sustainable compliance programs. For pesticide manufactures looking to commercialize agricultural-use products, Dr. Lawyer works to develop strategies that address unique scientific and regulatory nuances, prepare and submit applications to state agencies, and meet with regulators to discuss proposed action and intended uses.
Dr. Lawyer was previously the President and CEO of Technology Sciences Group, a global regulatory and scientific consulting firm. He holds a B.S. in Physics from UC Davis, and a M.Phil and Ph.D. in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry from Yale University.