- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 2008
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Structures Concentration, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 2005
- B.S., Architectural Engineering, California Polytechnic State University, SLO, 2001
- Community Noise Enforcement Certification
- University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA), Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lecturer
- SEAOSC Scholarship, Civil Engineering Department, UCLA, 2003
- Structural Engineers Association of Southern California (Member)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (Member)
Dr. Ahlberg received a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles. His primary area of research is in soil-structure interaction of foundation elements. He is involved in drilled shaft and abutment wall research, including lateral performance of drilled shafts and passive pressure development for wall-type foundations.
Dr. Ahlberg has investigated structures damaged by earthquake, storm surge, wind, fire, snow, blast pressure, vehicle impact, construction problems, design defects, ground settlement, and soil pressure. He also has experience in earthquake engineering, reinforced concrete, steel, wood and masonry design, as well as geotechnical designs for retaining walls, tiebacks, and deep foundations. Dr. Ahlberg has also investigated, and evaluated for compliance, temporary structures such as shoring and scaffolding systems.
Dr. Ahlberg is an expert in noise and vibration monitoring, and has expertise in sensor installation, monitoring, data acquisition, and analysis. He also has experience in sensor data management, remote monitoring of sensor and camera data, and long-range wireless transmission of data and imaging.
Dr. Ahlberg also serves as Laboratories Manager and Principal Development Engineer for the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Dr. Ahlberg also has served as a Lecturer for undergraduate and graduate courses in Mechanics, Materials, Structural Dynamics, Earthquake Engineering, and Structural Design at UCLA and the University of California, Irvine. Dr. Ahlberg also developed and has taught the Wood and Timber Design course at UCLA since 2018.