- B.Eng., Marine Engineering, University of Sunderland, 2019
- Unlimited Motor Class 1 Certificate of Competency. MCA.
- Certificate of Competence Ships Superintendents. Isle of Mann International Business School
- ISM Code and International Management System Audit Training. Lloyds Register.
- Mobile Offshore Drilling units (MODU's) In Service Classification and Statutory Surveys. ABS Academy.
- Hydraulic and Mechanical Course for Offshore Drilling Equipment, 10 days. National Oilwell Varco (NOV)
- Dynamic Positioning SDP Technical Course, 5 days. Kongsberg
- Automation Systems Maintenance Course 4 days. Kongsberg
- Further Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader. OPITO
- Member and Chartered Engineer of The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology.
- Chartered Engineer, The Engineering Council.
- Certified Fire and Explosions Investigator, The National Association of Fire Investigators.
Mr. Cook is a Chartered Marine Engineer whose seagoing career spans 18 years. Neil has sailed as Chief Engineer, holds an Unlimited, Class One Motor Certificate of Competency, and also has extensive shore-based experience in technical management roles.
Neil has conducted expert witness work for maritime litigation internationally. He has completed incident investigations, owners' vessel inspections, pre-purchase inspections, new building supervision, vessel performance optimisation, ballast water treatment retrofit planning, bunker disputes and the planning and supervision of major repairs.
Neil previously held the position of Technical Director at an established British shipping company. He was responsible for all technical aspects associated with the safe operation of a fleet of product and chemical tankers. He was able to realise significant improvements in vessel utilisation, by effective oversight of planned maintenance and quality systems, repair periods, incident response, technical project management, training, budgeting and supply agreements.
Neil spent four years as Technical Superintendent at a leading third-party ship management company where he was responsible for the day to day running and repair of LPG tankers and container vessels.
As well having working experience in the offshore industry Neil's expertise has cross over into land based engineering applications where he has worked on projects involving a pumped energy storage plant and electrical transmission towers among others.
In 2019 he completed a BEng honours degree in Marine Engineering and in 2023 completed the Cardiff University Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate and NAFI Certified Fire and Explosions Investigator Certificate.