- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1986
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1983
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1982
- Professional Engineer, Alabama, #28127
- Professional Engineer Mechanical, Arizona, #36270
- Professional Engineer Professional, Illinois, #062063468
- Certified PADI Divemaster
- League of American Bicyclists, League Cycling Instructor
- United Bicycle Institute, Certified Bicycle Technician
- Tau Beta Pi; Pi Tau Sigma
- Society of Automotive Engineers (member)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (member)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (member)
- F08.10 Bicycle Standards Committee
Dr. Stephen Werner is a Principal Engineer in Exponent's Vehicle Engineering practice. He specializes in the analysis of vehicle accidents, including bicycles, motorcycles, passenger vehicles, and medium/heavy trucks; mechanical and biomechanical analysis of slip and fall accidents; development of computer software for analysis and simulation of mechanical engineering systems; performance of bicycle and motorcycle helmets; machine design; and underwater inspection and photography.
Dr. Werner's research includes static and dynamic analysis of wheeled on-road and off-road vehicles; design and strength analysis of mechanical systems and components; impact performance of helmets; design and failure analysis of polymer matrix composite materials; and the design of automotive and machine elements including brakes, clutches, rotating shafts, hydrodynamic and rolling contact bearings, helical and flat springs, and bolted and welded joints.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Werner served as a Teaching Assistant in Machine Design and Composite Materials at the University of California at Berkeley and also held the position of SEED Production Engineer for the Hewlett-Packard Corporation.