We help clients answer hard questions regarding the performance and safety of all types of vehicles and mobile transportation equipment.
For over five decades, Exponent has assisted manufacturers in the automotive, heavy truck, motorcycle, sports, and recreational vehicle industries in evaluating the performance of products and product components.
Our vehicle engineers determine the compliance of client products with applicable standards, regulations, and industry practice through design and safety analysis, laboratory and full-scale testing, and benchmarking analysis.
Capabilities & Services
We provide consulting services, conduct research, and can provide expert testimony in cases of equipment in litigation matters involving product liability, intellectual property, and personal injury.
Exponent leads the industry in performing high-speed, full-scale vehicle testing services.
We're known worldwide for our capabilities and experience with high-speed, full-scale testing to evaluate the following:
- Frontal, side, and rear impact crashworthiness
- Roof structure integrity and occupant compartment intrusion in rollovers
- Fuel system integrity
- The performance of occupant safety systems, including restraints
- Quantifying occupant response under real-world conditions using fully instrumented Anthropomorphic Test Devices (ATD)
Robust services and full-scale testing capabilities.
State-of-the-art Test & Engineering Center in Phoenix, AZ.
As automated driving technologies continue to advance, Exponent is uniquely positioned to define the actual performance and effectiveness of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) under real-world accident conditions.
Our Test & Engineering Center (TEC) in Phoenix, Arizona is equipped with advanced robotic vehicle controllers and a full suite of AB Dynamics™ reusable robotic soft targets. We use these technologies to create complex accident scenarios, perform parametric studies of ADAS response, and rigorously address failure to equip/failure to perform allegations related to these systems.
Expert analyses of all types of transport systems.
We provide consulting services, conduct research, and can provide expert testimony in cases of equipment in litigation matters involving product liability and personal injury. Our experts frequently address issues involving the following transportation systems:
- On- and off-road motor vehicles, including micromobility devices
- Mobile construction, industrial, mining, and agricultural equipment
- Light-rail, commuter, and freight rail equipment
Insights from every angle.
Our multidisciplinary expertise includes:
- Vehicle Engineering
- Materials & Corrosion Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Biomechanics and Human Factors
- Thermal Sciences
- Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry
Our multidisciplinary teams help clients assess allegations related to the following:
- Mechanical and machine design
- Safety system and component design and performance
- Operation protection and operator field of view
- Machine controls
- Design and manufacturing defects
Our teams regularly assist clients in determining compliance of their machines with government regulations, consensus industry standards, and industry practice through benchmarking analysis.
Typical projects include:
- Reconstruction of complex accidents in challenging environments
- Component failure analysis including metallurgical and fracture surface analysis
- Evaluation of the adequacy of maintenance and/or repair practices
- Analysis of training practices, product documentation (operation manuals, warning, and instructional labels), and operator behavior
Data-backed insights to quantify safety and performance.
Our vehicle engineers work with our team of data scientists to quantify the safety performance of products using statistical risk analysis methods and can rank product performance relative to peer products.
Often, claims related to the adequacy of a product design cannot be rigorously performed without a complete understanding of the circumstances of the related incident.
Detailed reconstructions of complex accidents.
To answer the question, "Did the alleged project deficiency or defect cause or contribute to causing the reported incident or alleged injuries?", Exponent performs detailed reconstructions of complex accidents and, if necessary, can re-create the conditions of the accident at full scale.
Our Capabilities Are Unparalleled
With expertise in over 90 disciplines and hundreds of capabilities, tools, and methodologies — we get to the root of even the most complex challenges and give you the objective answers you need.