What's the best way to obtain thorough vibration damage assessments?
Exponent's team uses cutting-edge tools and technology to measure, document, characterize, and evaluate the source and magnitude of induced vibration and its effects on structures and sensitive equipment.
Pile driving, blasting, vibratory hammering, breaking pavement, vibratory fill compaction, and other construction activities can produce vibration levels that under certain circumstances can damage nearby structures. Smaller magnitude vibrations — from traffic, rail operations, and oscillating machinery — also produce vibrations but often at lower levels than certain construction induced vibrations. While construction vibrations rarely damage structural integrity, they may contribute to cosmetic cracking of walls and facades and may adversely impact sensitive equipment.
Exponent has a multidisciplinary team of geotechnical, civil, structural, and mechanical engineers with the expertise to assess every facet of construction and machine vibrations. Our experts use state-of-the-art tools and analyses to monitor, analyze, diagnose, and report the effects of vibrations. For example, Exponent can use a modular data acquisition system to record and monitor construction vibrations that can be adapted to the client's specific needs, collecting and processing data from signals sent via wired or wireless connections. Exponent can also integrate video cameras, microphones, and sensors, including accelerometers, geophones, and tiltmeters into the data acquisition system. The results are often analyzed and presented in geographic information systems (GIS).
For 50+ years, we’ve thrived on solving unstructured problems that require bespoke solutions. Some of our services include:
• Determination of the types and extent of damage to structures reported from vibrations
• Assessing sources of vibrations and their effects on the ground and nearby structures
• Evaluating soil properties to assess wave propagation characteristics and potential for vibration-induced ground settlement
• Establishing baseline conditions prior to construction activities
• Pre- and post-construction condition assessment surveys of buildings
• Pre-construction review of construction plans and activities
• Analyzing the magnitude and zone of influence of vibrations on both the structure and surrounding soils
• Monitoring, recording, and evaluation of vibrations prior to and during construction
• Damage assessment at adjacent properties
• Data acquisition and monitoring system architecture to remotely monitor real-time construction vibrations and threshold exceedance
Clients regularly purchase and integrate individual specialty sensors into the data acquisition system.
Our sensing technologies
Soil pressure sensors
Our Capabilities Are Unparalleled
With expertise in over 90 disciplines and hundreds of capabilities, tools, and methodologies — we get to the root of even the most complex challenges and give you the objective answers you need.
Remote Sensing Analysis
Improve site understanding with remote sensing and geospatial analytics, including GIS.
Mining & Forestry
Scientific and engineering expertise to help achieve safe, reliable, sustainable production.
Decades of experience addressing the multitude of complex challenges that can arise when earth and engineering meet.
Design & Construction Consulting
Extensive civil engineering expertise to empower decision-making and help reduce design and construction risks and failures.
External Hazards: Risk Assessment & Mitigation
Accurate assessment, mitigation, and remediation support for external hazards and natural disasters.
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.
Corporate Vice President and Principal Engineer
Practice Director and Principal