- Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Biology, Oregon State University, 2021
- M.S., Animal Sciences, Oregon State University, 2016
- B.S., Zoology, Oregon State University, 2014
- Irwin Fridovich Young Investigator Award, Society for Redox Biology and Medicine, 2020
- Marion T. Tsefelas Endowed Graduate Fellow, 2020-2021
- Mark Sponenburgh Endowed Graduate Fellow, 2018-2019
- Provost’s Distinguished Graduate Fellow, 2017-2018
- Certificate of Excellence, Metabolism and Nutrition, Poultry Science Association, 2015
- Society for Redox Biology and Medicine (SfRBM)
- American Society for Nutrition
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
Dr. Head is an interdisciplinary scientist specializing in molecular biology with an emphasis on nutritional and biochemical networks regulating health. He received both his M.S. in Animal Sciences and Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Biology from Oregon State University.
Dr. Head investigated the effects of poultry feed composition on meat-type, broiler chicken metabolism and growth performance. He has expertise in analytical chemistry techniques including gas chromatography as well as experience with commercial animal husbandry. Dr. Head specializes in micronutrient metabolism, specifically Vitamin E, as it relates to maternal health, pregnancy outcomes, and aging. His work included metabolomic analyses using liquid chromatography with tandem mass-spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). Dr. Head also conducted bioinformatic analyses using transcriptomics and integration of multi-omic datasets. Dr. Head has expertise with the zebrafish model system. Dr. Head participated in human subject clinical trial research modeling the pharmacokinetics of Vitamin E in healthy women.
Before joining Exponent, Dr. Head held a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) at The National Institutes of Health (NIH) where he focused on rare genetic disorders of cholesterol metabolism and lysosomal storage disorders. Dr. Head has published numerous research and review articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals and has presented multiple award-winning oral and printed presentations at professional scientific meetings.