- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2014
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2011
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2010
- Professional Engineer Metallurgical, California, #MT 2037
- Professional Engineer Metallurgical, Oregon, #101275PE
- Professional Engineer, Washington, #57134
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- Association for Iron and Steel Technology
- ASM International
- National Association of Fire Investigators
Dr. Bott is a licensed Metallurgical Engineer specializing in materials science and engineering and failure analysis. Her specific expertise includes metallurgy, materials science, mechanical behavior of materials, fracture, fatigue, and materials characterization.
Dr. Bott has led failure investigations on a variety of projects, ranging across plumbing and HVAC failures, corrosion failures, fires and explosions, personal injuries, product safety/liability, heavy equipment failure, and hot particle ignition of wildland fires. Her clients have included manufacturers, utilities, attorneys, and insurance companies. Dr. Bott excels at applying advanced materials science and engineering principles to efficiently and effectively identify the root causes of component failures, and to translating elaborate scientific concepts into easy to understand language. Dr. Bott has extensive experience leading and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams to solve complex problems.
Dr. Bott's graduate research involved the study of high temperature oxidation behavior and aluminum nitride formation in iron alloys containing aluminum. Dr. Bott has experience characterizing materials and failures using optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDS), x-ray diffraction (XRD), x-ray imaging, CT radiography, and 3D laser/light scanning.