- M.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), 2010
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 2003
- Professional Engineer Professional, Illinois, #62061204
- 40-Hour Hazardous Waste Operation and Emergency Response Certification (HAZWOPER)
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- Confined Space Entry (29 CFR 1910.146)
- Exclusive Winner of the 2022 Client Choice: Construction Expert Witnesses award for USA
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers — ASME (member)
- National Fire Protection Association — NFPA (member)
- National Association of Fire Investigators — NAFI (member)
- Principal Member: ASME Board on Safety Codes and Standards, effective August 2017
- Chair & Principal Member: Technical Committee on Stoker Operations, NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code, National Fire Protection Association International, effective July 2006
- Principal Member: Technical Committee on Pulverized Fuel Systems, NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code, National Fire Protection Association International, effective July 2006
- Principal Member: Technical Committee on Fundamentals of Combustion, NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code, National Fire Protection Association International, effective March 2014
- Alternate Member: Technical Committee on Single Burner Boilers, NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code, National Fire Protection Association International, effective August 2015
- Principal Member: ASME CSD-1 Standard, Controls and Safety Devices for Automatically
- Fired Boilers, effective March 2011
- Principal Member: ASME TES-1 Standard, Safety Standard for Thermal Energy Storage Systems: Molten Salt, effective October 2019
- Principal Member: ANSI/HI 14.4 Rotodynamic Pumps Installation, Operation and Maintenance
Mr. Fecke applies his experience and expertise as a mechanical engineer to solve complex technical problems involving various types of combustion, mechanical, or fluid handling equipment or systems. These engineering evaluations, root cause or failure analyses, origin and cause investigations, or risk assessments have involved the design, commissioning, operations, and/or maintenance of utility, industrial, commercial or residential system including boilers, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, combustion equipment, fluid handling systems and other types of thermal and mechanical systems.
Mr. Fecke has expertise in the use and application of current and historical standards, codes, guidelines and regulation that govern the design, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of these engineered systems both in the USA and Internationally. He has been presented as an expert and advised clients in various adjudicatory venues including federal court, state courts, mediation, and international arbitrations.
Mr. Fecke has extensive experience in the fields of power generation and combustion equipment. He specializes in the design, commissioning, operation, maintenance, repair, and failure analysis of various types of thermal power generation systems including nearly all types of Fossil Fueled Combustion Systems (solid, liquid, and gaseous fuel), Biomass and Biogas Fueled Combustion Systems, and Concentrated Solar Power Systems. He has assisted his clients in identifying the appropriate level of safeguards necessary for safe operation and control of their systems. He is well versed in the industry codes, standards, and guidelines and has used those in combination with process hazard analysis techniques to conduct these studies.
Mr. Fecke is active in the field of combustion safety and specializes in everything from large scale combustion equipment (Utility Size) to small scall combustion systems (residential) including boilers, burners, kilns, dryers, furnaces, ovens, oxidizers, process heaters, heat exchangers, incinerators, and steam engines. He has consulted on combustion equipment that is fueled by: coal, coke, wood pellets, wood chips, refuse, bagasse, cocoa bean shells, fuel oils, biodiesel, ethanol, propane, natural gas, and biogas, just to name a few.
Fluid and Bulk Solid Handling
Mr. Fecke has led complex failure analysis investigations on various types of fluid handling equipment and systems, such as valves, fittings, joints, couplings, pumps, fans, compressors, evaporators, regulators, switches, and sensors. His failure analysis experience of fluid handling systems includes waste, potable, and process water system, various types heat transfer fluids, as well as industrial systems that include steam, ammonia, and molten salt. He also has experience in evaluating bulk solid conveying systems, such as bucket elevators, screw conveyors, drag conveyors, stoker grates, and various types of pneumatic conveying systems. His experience also includes evaluating bulk solid storage systems such as concrete and metal silos, stockpiles, and dust collection systems.
Pressure Vessels and General Mechanical Engineering Failure Analysis
Mr. Fecke applies his experience and expertise as a mechanical engineer to various types of engineering evaluations involving residential, commercial, and industrial mechanical systems. These investigations include assessments of the design, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of both fired and unfired ASME-listed pressure vessels, HVAC systems, other types of heating and cooling systems, marine vessels, chemical process equipment, amusement park equipment, pulverizers, mills, grinders, bearings, gears, seals, springs, packing and industrial Thermal Energy Storage (TES) systems.
Utility and Industrial Plant System Commissioning
Mr. Fecke has extensive experience in the commissioning of various types of utility, industrial, and commercial systems. This experience includes the planning, execution, and closeout of the various phase of commissioning starting prior to Mechanical Completion, through both Cold and Hot Commissioning, and concluding in the Performance Test. His commissioning experience includes numerous activities spanning from the performance of motor bumps and functional tests to sign off and system takeover or handover certificates. This experience spans various industries including Fossil Fuel and Concentrated Solar Power Plants, Chemical Plants, Smelting Plants, Industrial Agriculture and Agrochemical Plants.
Fires and Explosion Investigations
Mr. Fecke has been involved in Fire and Explosion investigations of all magnitudes in numerous industry sectors encompassing spanning from consumer products to industrial and utility size fires and explosions. His investigations have included hazardous releases, fires, combustion explosions, and mechanical overpressures. He has experience evaluating products, appliances, and industrial equipment in laboratory environments as well as performing forced-failure testing. He has performed scientific fire origin and cause investigations of industrial, commercial and residential structures.