How can a thorough investigation of your propulsion energy system improve your efficiency and overall performance?
For more than 50 years, Exponent's multidisciplinary engineering teams have conducted rigorous analysis of all types of power generation and propulsion systems, and are uniquely positioned to provide important insights into performance issues, material suitability, control system failures, component failure analysis, root cause investigations, fracture mechanics, aerodynamics, acoustics, fire origin and cause investigations, and forced outages support.
Our in-depth experience with the equipment, processes, and controls includes gas turbines for aero-propulsion, as well as stationary services (both aero-derivative and frame types), steam turbines, turbo pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, and diesel engines for power generation and propulsion from numerous equipment manufacturers.
Our engineers have direct expertise in both combined-cycle and simple-cycle power utilities services and consult on a wide range of fundamental engineering issues related to radiant and convective heat transfer, multiphase fluid flow; solid, liquid, and gaseous fuel combustion; fuel chemistry; and pollutant formation and abatement.
Exponent's engineers are members of and serve on many committees for recognized standards organizations that evaluate turbine, power plant, and rotating machinery, including:
Industry Affiliations & Standards Expertise
AIChE — American Institute of Chemical Engineers
API — American Petroleum Institute
ANSI — American National Standards Institute
ASHRAE — American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers
ASME — American Society of Mechanical Engineers
ASTM — American Society for Testing and Materials
CCPS — Center for Chemical Process Safety
EPA/CHP — EPA Combined Heat and Power Partnership
HI — Hydraulics Institute
IEEE — Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
ISA — International Society of Automation
NFPA — National Fire Protection Association
WTUI — Western Turbine Users Inc.
• Identify and mitigate operational risks
• Perform failure analyses and root cause investigations
• Conduct analyses of equipment failures
• Analyze human/machine process interactions
• Evaluate control system design
• Examine control system failures and root cause determinations
• Multidisciplinary analysis of system design, installation, commissioning, operation, maintenance, and outages (scheduled and forced).
• Plant Feasibility Studies
• Plant Performance Issues
• Plant and Equipment Acquisitions
• Safety-Critical System Design Reviews
• Evaluation and Support for Functional Testing
• Litigation and Warranty Support
• Optimization and Equipment Upgrades
• Process Hazard Analysis
• Turbine Systems Safety
• Turbine Controls
• Third-Party Review
• Incident Investigation
• Exotic Material Failure Analysis
• Technology Evaluation and Analysis
• Intellectual Property Support
• Failure analysis of steam turbines in combined-cycle power plants, geothermal power plants, solar power plants, boiler-water carryover, turbine-blade failures, and control systems
Fluid Handling Subsystems: Pumps, Compressors, and Appurtenances
• Full analysis of fluid handling subsystems and subsystem components including compressors, dryers, filters and/or separators, accumulators or receiver tanks, and distribution piping
• Evaluation of maintenance, control, and automation
• Failure analyses
• Analysis of compressed air or gas systems, boilers, furnaces, and other heat transfer systems
• Investigate breaches in pressurized vessels and piping, fuel/oil fires and explosions, mechanical failures, corrosion, and system safeguards
• Analyze all aspects of control system failures and electrical system failures, including fuses and motor overloads
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.
Corporate Vice President and Principal Engineer
Office Director and Principal
Practice Director and Principal
Senior Managing Engineer
Senior Managing Engineer