- Ph.D., Material Science and Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2019
- M.S., Material Science and Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2017
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil, 2009
- American Society for Materials (ASM)
- Association for Iron and Steel Technology (AIST)
Rafael Coura Giacomin is a Materials Engineer who specializes in failure analysis, fractographic examination, laboratory and field analysis of a broad range of materials. Dr. Giacomin's extensive experience includes: ferrous metallurgy, materials characterization, pipeline metallurgy, corrosion analysis, process control, statistical analysis for improvement of processes and applications, failure analysis, prevention, and prediction of future defects. Dr. Giacomin provides technical support, litigation support and expert analyses to law firms, insurance companies and industry.
Professional achievements include procedure creation, training, process control, parameter optimization and quality assurance during the start-up of a one million ton steelmaking plant for Oil and Country Tubular Goods (OCTG) application; improving cleanliness and mechanical properties of steel; development of new grades for automotive applications and use of statistical analysis in root cause investigation of corrosion behavior of metal components.