- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2012
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2009
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2008
- James F. Will Career Development Professor, Mechanical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 2020-2023.
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2015-2020.
- Postdoctoral Scientist, University of Michigan, 2012-2015.
- 2023 U.S. Air Force Research Lab Faculty Fellowship. RXAS Soft Matter Materials Branch, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, WPAFB, OH. May 2023.
- Invited speaker for the 2023 SPIE Smart Structures & Non-Destructive Evaluation Conference. Long Beach, CA. March 2023.
- Featured in ASME Magazine Article "If It Only Had A Brain", November 2022, highlighting research accomplishments in the development of materials that think.
- Invited speaker for the 2022 Gordon Research Conference "Imparting Intelligence in and Through Self-Learning Materials and Structures". Ventura, CA. September 2022.
- Invited speaker for the 2022 National Academy of Engineering China-America Frontiers of Engineering Conference. Irvine, CA. July 2022.
- 2021 U.S. Air Force Research Lab Faculty Fellowship. RXAS Soft Matter Materials Branch, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, WPAFB, OH. May 2021.
- 2020 ASME CD Mote Jr. Early Career Award. August 2020.
- 2019 ASME Gary Anderson Early Achievement Award. September 2019.
- 2019 U.S. Air Force Research Lab Faculty Fellowship. RXAS Soft Matter Materials Branch, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, WPAFB, OH. March 2019.
- Invitation to participate in the ARO Workshop on "Meta‐structures: Dynamics, Topology and Related Opportunities". May 2018.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award. March 2018.
- Recognized by the ASME as a "Newsmaker" for the Society. October 2017. https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/society-news/asme-news/newsmakers
- Invitation to participate in the NSF Workshop on "Acoustics: New Fundamentals and Applications". October 2017.
- 2017 U.S. Air Force Research Lab Faculty Fellowship. RQHF Hypersonic Sciences Branch, Aerospace Systems Directorate, WPAFB, OH. May 2017.
- 2017 ASME Best Paper Award in Structures and Structural Dynamics.
- 2016 ASME Haythornthwaite Young Investigator Award, facilitated by the Applied Mechanics Division. October 2016.
- Royal invitation to present "Energy-Generating Mechanical Trees" before H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco and His Excellency Bernard Fautrier, Vice President and CEO of the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation at The Ohio State University. August 2016.
- Member 000100143950, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2011-present
- Member 1239916, Acoustical Society of America (ASA), 2010-11, 2016-present
- Member 3438137, International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), 2013-present
Dr. Harne is renown for his background in vibration, acoustics, and the design and operation of diverse mechanical systems. He has led numerous teams in the development, diagnosis, and qualification of products and platforms often involving vibrations or waves as an integral function or byproduct of operation. From ultrasound-based medical devices; to nonlinear shockwave propagation; to vibration-induced noise, fatigue, and failure; to data analysis, signal processing, and artificial intelligence; and beyond, Dr. Harne has over 11 years of experience correlating the symptoms with causes of vibration-, acoustics-, and mechanical design-based challenges throughout engineering applications and proposing successful solution.
Dr. Harne also has unique expertise at the intersection of technology commercialization and business development. Having patents that have led to commercial licenses and startups in the hard-tech space, Dr. Harne understands the hurdles and risks involved in entrepreneurship and carving out one's space in a competitive market. Dr. Harne is a natural go-to for clients who aim to secure and protect sound commercial ideas and intellectual property.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Harne was a professor of mechanical engineering at The Pennsylvania State University (2020 to 2023) and at The Ohio State University (2015 to 2020), where he led teams, large and small, in fundamental and applied research problems, earning millions in grant revenue. His academic work culminated in over 100 publications (including in Nature, Nature Communications, and Advanced Science), dozens of accolades for his research achievements, and invited presentations before heads-of-state, the US Department of Defense, and other international and domestic foundations. From 2018 to 2023, Dr. Harne was the Chief Technology Officer of HyperDamping, Inc., where he helped transition the company from applied research idea, to minimum viable product, and finally to sustainable commercial revenue.