- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2006
- Professional Engineer, Maryland, #43100
- ASM International (formerly American Society for Metals, member since 1990)
- National Society of Professional Engineers—NSPE (member)
- Maryland Society of Professional Engineers—MDSPE (member)
Mr. Ledwith has over 25 years of experience analyzing mechanical, structural and materials failures ranging from consumer products to complex mechanical systems. He has conducted field inspections including transportation systems, power generation equipment, fire protection system components, and mechanical devices to determine the cause of accidents and failures.
Mr. Ledwith has experience with mechanical testing, nondestructive examination techniques, and the development of specialized laboratory procedures for materials characterization. Mr. Ledwith uses tools such as Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy for compositional analysis of residues, contaminants, and polymeric materials. He also performs fractographic evaluations of materials using optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy as part of root cause analyses.
Prior to joining Exponent, Mr. Ledwith served in the United States Navy as a propulsion specialist aboard nuclear-powered fast attack submarines. He operated and performed maintenance on mechanical and electrical power generation equipment, including primary (nuclear) and secondary (conventional) systems.