- Ph.D., Materials Science, Colorado School of Mines, 2014
- M.S., Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2011
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2004
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2004
- Professional Engineer Metallurgical, California, #2015
- Professional Engineer, Colorado, #PE.0045977
- American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- Professional Engineer Metallurgical and Materials (WA)
- Co-organizer for ASME Pressure Vessel & Piping, Materials and Manufacturing Committee
- ASM International
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers — ASME
- American Welding Society — AWS
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers International — NACE
Dr. Kirchhofer's expertise is in evaluation of failure mechanisms, determining root cause(s) of failure, and applying these principles to failure analysis and integrity assessment of components, equipment, and structures.
Dr. Kirchhofer's focus includes the mechanical behavior of materials (strength, fracture, and fatigue), fractography, materials structure-property relationships, corrosion performance, materials testing as applied to material selection, and materials characterization.
Dr. Kirchhofer is experienced in the investigation and evaluation of structural components, gantries and cranes, chemical and power plant components, oil and gas transportation pipelines, process piping, pressure vessels, reactor vessels, power generation, electric transmission, and transportation/automotive. Her experience also involves reviewing and applying industry codes and standards (e.g., ASME, ASTM, API, EN, ISO) for pipelines, pressure vessels, and structures. In addition, she has worked in product development, design of experiments, and reliability improvements through mitigation of failure modes.
She also has extensive knowledge of materials systems that encompass ferrous alloys, stainless steels, superalloys, non-ferrous alloys, and ceramic materials. Dr. Kirchhofer applies this knowledge to assess material performance in various service conditions and to understand and optimize the material processing-performance relationship.
Dr. Kirchhofer received her Ph.D. in Materials Science and M.S. in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from Colorado School of Mines. In addition, Dr. Kirchhofer is a licensed Professional Engineer in the field of Metallurgical Engineering in various states. She is also a Certified Welding Inspector by the American Welding Society (AWS).