Expert MSE wall and RSS construction consulting
In addition to evaluating the stability of existing MSE walls and RSS, Exponent has developed repair recommendations; monitored MSE walls prior to, during, and after implementation of repairs; observed and documented MSE wall demolitions; conducted field evaluations of seismic performance; and directed material testing of various reinforcement and facing elements.
With backgrounds in geotechnical engineering, engineering geology, structural engineering, material and polymer science, mechanical engineering, and construction management, Exponent's experts are uniquely qualified to address any challenges associated with MSE walls and RSS, as well as to assist in the resolution of related construction claims and disputes.
There are several types of facing elements for MSE walls, including segmental retaining walls, segmental concrete panels, modular block units, welded wire mesh, gabion, and geosynthetic facing. Already by 2009, the Federal Highway Administration had estimated that MSE walls with precast facing made up more than half of all retaining wall constructed every year for transportation applications in the United States. This percentage of MSE walls in transportation applications has likely increased since that study. Exponent has decades of experience with evaluation of all these facing elements and reinforcement types and performed multidisciplinary investigations and analyses of various MSE wall types and RSS domestically and internationally.
For 50+ years, we’ve thrived on solving unstructured problems that require bespoke solutions. Some of our services include:
• Analysis of the cause and contributing factors of excessive settlement, lateral movement, bulging, cracking of the facing, ground cracking, or failure
• Analysis of the nature and extent of damage to real property from failure
• Evaluation of differing site condition claims during construction
• Standard-of-care evaluations for design professionals
• Cost analysis, delay impacts, and acceleration evaluation for construction projects involving MSE walls and RSS
• Analysis and field evaluation of performance during earthquakes
• Monitoring and evaluation of field instrumentation data, including remote access of data (e.g., inclinometers, tiltmeters, survey points, LiDAR)
• Laboratory testing of the MSE wall or RSS elements, including directing geotechnical testing, stress analysis, microscopic examinations, and many more
• Field investigation of MSE walls and RSS
Our Capabilities Are Unparalleled
With expertise in over 90 disciplines and hundreds of capabilities, tools, and methodologies — we get to the root of even the most complex challenges and give you the objective answers you need.
Decades of experience addressing the multitude of complex challenges that can arise when earth and engineering meet.
Design & Construction Consulting
Extensive civil engineering expertise to empower decision-making and help reduce design and construction risks and failures.
External Hazards: Risk Assessment & Mitigation
Accurate assessment, mitigation, and remediation support for external hazards and natural disasters.
Mining & Forestry
Scientific and engineering expertise to help achieve safe, reliable, sustainable production.
Remote Sensing Analysis
Improve site understanding with remote sensing and geospatial analytics, including GIS.
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.
Practice Director and Principal