- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science, Queen Mary University London, UK, 2011
- B.Sc., Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science, Queen Mary University London, UK, 2003
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP)
- Tomography for Scientific Advancement International, Founder and Chair
- Engineering and Physical Research Council, UK Tomography roadmap, Committee Member
- National Physical Laboratory, DXCT, Committee Member
- The Royal Microscopical Society, Member
- Scanning Electron Microscopy Technologies, Committee member 2015-2017
Dr. Ahmed has extensive experience in fracture mechanics, multi-scale failure, and material selection, with a focus on biomaterials, implant design, and interfaces within joint implants. With over 14 years' experience in non-destructive analysis, Dr. Ahmed supports her clients in material selection and analysis, product design and prototyping, manufacturing processes, and failure analysis..
Dr. Ahmed holds expertise in the application of microscopy (CT, SEM, Optical) applied across a wide range of industries, including additive manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer products, electronics, automotive, medical forensics, food and beverage, national space agencies, and mining.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Ahmed was the Head of Imaging at the Natural History Museum, London. During her time, she provided technical consulting and research contract services to her clients Dr. Ahmed has conducted experimental design, data validation and microstructural development studies, thereby helping companies bring products to market quicker.
In addition to her applied materials and imaging experience, Dr. Ahmed's doctoral thesis focuses on multi-scale high resolution failure of pathological bone in relation to load. During her academic career, Dr. Ahmed established novel methodologies to image and analyze failure in a range of materials, including in-situ rigs for 4D understanding of failure in composite structures. Dr. Ahmed is the founder and chair of the international conference ToScA (Tomography for Scientific Advancement) and she holds numerous positions on national committees, including, the Engineering and Physical Research Council (EPSRC) and the National Physical Laboratory (NPL).