- Ph.D., Engineering, Brown University, 1986
- Sc.M., Applied Mathematics, Brown University, 1986
- Sc.M., Engineering, Brown University, 1984
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1981
- Professional Engineer Mechanical, California, #31530
- Professional Engineer, Michigan, #6201069727
- Professional Engineer Mechanical, Texas, #113452
- Professional Engineer Mechanical, Washington, #52816
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2019
- SRI International Postdoctoral Fellowship
- University Fellowship, Brown University
- Ingersoll Rand Award
- Alfred Stenning Award
- Pi Tau Sigma
- Tau Beta Pi
- Community Service
- Mentor to the FIRST Robotics teams at Woodside High School, Woodside, CA.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME - Fellow)
- ASME B16 Subcommittee L - Gas Shutoffs and Valves
- ASME B5 Technical Committee 52 - Machine Tool Performance
- ASME B5 Technical Committee 64 – Linear Positioning
- ASM International — American Society for Metals
- American Water Works Association
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Peer reviewer for ASM International Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance
- Peer reviewer for Proceedings of the iMeche Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering
- Peer reviewer for ASME 2010 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference(CIE)
- Peer reviewer for ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE)
- Peer reviewer for ASME 2015 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE)
- Peer reviewer for ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exhibition (IMECE)
Dr. Klopp specializes in mechanical engineering and the mechanics of materials. He has particular expertise in laboratory-based testing, mechanical design, failure analysis and prevention, and manufacturing.
Dr. Klopp's mechanical engineering background includes extensive experience in machining; machinery; analysis of fasteners, gears, and bearings; power generation; mechanical power transmission; optical systems; metrology; hydraulic systems; and fluid handling components. His mechanics of materials background includes extensive experience in fracture mechanics, high strain rate deformation and failure, impact and shock wave loading, mechanical testing and optical measurement methods.
Dr. Klopp has applied his expertise to machine tools, industrial machinery, laser systems, electric and gas utilities, automobiles, trucks, potable, fire protection, and wastewater system components, plumbing, computer equipment, electronic packaging, consumer products, hand and power tools, medical equipment and medical devices, toys, recreational products, railroad tank cars, chemical storage tanks, underground tunnels, armor/antiarmor, and missile defense. Dr. Klopp has studied the mechanical behavior of metals, ceramics, rock, plastics, advanced composites, liquids, and wood.
Dr. Klopp has provided consulting services on matters of industrial problem solving, product recalls, product defect litigation, intellectual property disputes, national defense, and insurance issues.
Dr. Klopp is a skilled machinist qualified to set up and operate machine tools such as lathes, milling machines and other shop equipment. His personal machine shop is equipped with a computer numerical control (CNC) milling machine, a manual milling machine, two toolroom lathes, grinders, and a wide variety of supporting tooling and equipment.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Klopp was a Research Engineer at SRI International and worked as a Research Associate at Brown University. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.