- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2010
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2005
- B.S., Architectural Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, 2004
- Professional Engineer Civil, California, #79454
- Professional Engineer, West Virginia, #23859
- Fulbright Scholar, Universität Stuttgart, Germany, 2006-2007
- IASS Hangai Prize, 2008
- American Society of Civil Engineers (member, 2021-present)
- • Member, Committee on Forensic Investigations, 2021-present
- Structural Engineers Association of Southern California (member, 2010-present)
- • Chair, Post Disaster Performance Observation Committee (PDPOC), serving the SEAOC Earthquake Performance Evaluation Program (EPEP), 2013-2018
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (member, 2010-present)
- • Member, Board of Directors, EERI Southern California Chapter, 2016-present
- • Member, EERI Learning from Earthquakes (LFE) Executive Committee, 2015-present
- • Chair, EERI Reconnaissance Tools and Training Committee, 2014-2017
Dr. Hunt is a licensed engineer and specializes in the design, construction, and performance of buildings, facilities, and infrastructure. He performs root-cause failure investigations and provides engineering and construction consulting services for resolutions of disputes between owners, design professionals, contractors, and fabricators. Dr. Hunt has evaluated issues with steel, concrete, masonry, and wood-frame buildings as well as bridges, airports, energy facilities, parking garages, retaining walls, tanks, and industrial structures. He has investigated structures damaged by earthquake, wind, fire, snow, blast loading, water intrusion, adjacent construction, earth movement, and material degradation such as wood decay and steel corrosion.
Dr. Hunt has led investigations of construction defects, design errors and deficiencies, and building code compliance issues on domestic and international construction projects, including international arbitration disputes on projects in Australia, Asia, North America, and the Middle East. He is experienced at leading multi-disciplinary teams and consulting at all stages of disputes, from developing and analyzing claims to giving expert evidence at hearings and trials. Previous projects have included evaluation of civil and structural designs for a new international airport, investigation of a highway bridge collapse that occurred during construction, analysis of construction defects in a high-rise tower, and evaluations of design issues at refineries, mining facilities, and power plants.
Dr. Hunt has evaluated construction accidents using structural analysis and computer animations. He also provides peer review services for structural design and retrofit of complex structures using performance-based earthquake engineering and nonlinear and dynamic structural analysis. Dr. Hunt is active in the earthquake engineering research community. He currently serves on the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute's Board of Directors for the Southern California Chapter and on the Learning from Earthquakes Executive Committee.
According to Who's Who Legal:
"Jeffrey is able to pick up the relevant issues and craft his report and testimony in a concise and clear manner."
"He has excellent presentation style and is capable of persuading in a reasoned and objective tone."
"He is very detail oriented and clear in his analysis."