- M.S., Electrical Engineering, San Jose State University, 1995
- B.S., Electronics Engineering Technology, DeVry Institute of Technology, 1992
- Professional Engineer, Arkansas, #16740
- Professional Engineer Electrical, California, #17564
- Professional Engineer, Michigan, #6201058107
- Professional Engineer Electrical, Minnesota, #57907
- Professional Engineer, Oklahoma, #27594
- Professional Engineer, Oregon, #91186PE
- Professional Engineer, Virginia, #402055983
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator (CVFI)
- Tau Beta Pi
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers—IEEE
- Order of the Engineer (member)
Mr. Loud specializes in electrical engineering issues. He addresses issues related to electronic systems including printed circuit board problems, electronic component failures, circuit analysis, and propagating failures.
Mr. Loud has investigated numerous incidences involving electrocutions and electric shocks and has also conducted many investigations involving electrical/electronic products that are alleged to have caused fires. His expertise further includes work with lighting products, rotating electric machines, as well as secondary battery systems in the area of lithium ion cell testing and protection systems, NiMH, NiCad, and lead acid charging systems.
His test results and recommendations for products using lithium ion cells have been used by many in the portable electronics industry. He has performed fault analysis on electrical distribution equipment, breakers and switchgear. Mr. Loud also has experience with industrial electronic equipment including automated metering equipment, locomotive black-box event recorders, and locomotive control equipment. He is experienced in addressing issues related to electronic manufacturing and service, equipment production, test and circuit board rework and repair. He is also experienced in applying relevant electrical codes and standards including the NEC, NESC, General Orders 95, 128, 165, OSHA, UL, ANSI, etc.
Prior to joining Exponent, Mr. Loud worked for Neta Corporation and Q-Tron Industrial Electronics and worked as a consultant for companies such as General Motors EMD Division, Burlington Northern Railroad, CSX Railroad, and the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.