The American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2023 Spring Meeting and the 19th Global Congress on Process Safety provides chemical and process engineers an opportunity to focus on the industry's most critical needs, including sustainable methods for petrochemical refinement, safety management, loss prevention, feedstock expansion for energy transition, and more.
Exponent is proud to participate in this event, hosted together by the AIChE and the CCPS.
Don't miss opportunities to attend sessions co-chaired by Exponent experts (see select details and links) or connect with our many presenters and panelists over the three-day conference (full schedule below).
"Tutorials in Loss Prevention Symposium"
Monday, March 13 | 8:30-10 a.m.
Exponent Senior Associate Jessica Morris, Ph.D., and Reactive Chemicals Subject Matter Expert Katie Mulligan, Ph.D., of The Dow Chemical Company will co-chair tutorial sessions focused on combustible dust hazards. The tutorials will cover techniques for identifying dust hazards and explosibility as well as design and safety management. Speakers include loss prevention specialists from Eastman Chemical Company, Chemours, DEKRA Process Safety, and Exxon Mobile.
"Sustainability Developments for Refining Petrochemicals I + II"
Wednesday, March 15 | 6-7:30 a.m. + 8:15-9:45 a.m.
Exponent senior managing engineers Chris Buehler, Ph.D., P.E., and Brian Ott, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, will co-chair two back-to-back sessions on new approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, the use of sustainable fuels, the concept of "carbonomics," and petrochemical production alternatives. Speakers include industry experts from Lamar University, Smith & Burgess LLC, Axens, and Linde Engineering.
MONDAY, MARCH 13
- Delmar Morrison, Ph.D., P.E., CCPSC, FAIChE, CFEI, "Facility Siting, Consequence Analysis, and Risk Assessment I," 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Jordan Bailey, Ph.D., and Chason Coelho, Ph.D., CSP, CFI, "Inclusion in Process Safety: What Should You Know?" 2-2:30 p.m.
- Brenton Cox, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, (co-chair) "The Faces of Process Safety: Process Safety Mentoring for Our IDEAL Workforce," 3:30-5 p.m.
- Taylor Sulmonetti, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, (co-chair) "Advances in Catalysis," 3:30-5 p.m.
- David Hietala, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, "How Process Simulation Tools Such As Aspen Plus® Can Improve Hazard Identification," 5 p.m.-7 p.m.
- Achim Wechsung, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, "Venting of Hydrogen Explosions," 5-7 p.m.
TUESDAY, MARCH 14
- Sean Dee, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, (co-chair) "Learning from Each Other: Application of Process Safety Principles to Other Industries," 1:30-3 p.m.
- Brenton Cox, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, "Ignition Sources Are Free: A Discussion of Common (and uncommon) Ignition Mechanisms for Gaseous Fuels and Combustible Dusts," 2-2:30 p.m.
- Brian Ott, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, "Hydrogen and Natural Gas Blends — Addressing the Differences in Pipeline Standards," 2-2:30 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15
- Nick Reding, "Blended Natural Gas/Hydrogen Fuel Gas Systems: An Evaluation of Risk," 8:44 a.m.-9:06 a.m.
- Matthew Walters, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, (co-chair) "Is My Liquid Trapped?" 9-9:30 a.m.; (co-chair) "The Day PSM Hit Home," 10:15-11:45 a.m.
- Brenton Cox, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, (co-chair) "Human Performance," 10:15-11:45 a.m.
- Sean Dee, Ph.D., P.E., CFEI, "Catastrophic Explosion Investigation and the Dogma of Process Safety Management," 2:45-3:15 p.m.
Register to attend AIChE 2023 Spring Meeting and the Global Congress on Process Safety here.
What Can We Help You Solve?
Exponent combines core competencies in chemistry, chemical engineering, physics, polymer science, materials engineering, and batteries to assist clients in the development of new technologies, as well as the evaluation of materials challenges in a wide variety of industries and applications, including consumer products, electronics, medical devices, industrial equipment, transportation, energy, and emerging technologies.
Renewable energy consulting services and stewardship to address your complex project challenges, from assessment and implementation to execution.
Process Safety Hazards & Risk Analysis
Thermal science expertise to help you Identify hazards, mitigate risks, and improve safety and compliance with regulatory practices