- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 2014
- M.Sc., Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford, UK, 2007
- B.Eng., Optoelectronics Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 2006
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate in Mechanical Design
- TensorFlow Developer
- TensorFlow for Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning, DeepLearning.AI, July 2022
- GD&T and Stack-Up, Udemy, June 2022
- Fusion 360, Autodesk, August 2021
- SQL for Data Science, UC Davis, May 2021
- Applied Data Science with Python, University of Michigan, June 2020
- The Technical Analyst Award Finalist, 2021
- Siemens Fellowship, 2017
- Haas Dean’s Seed Fund, 2016
- IET Travel Award, 2016
- Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowships, 2014, 2016
- Sloane Robinson Foundation Scholarship, 2007
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- ASTM International
- 2023 Vice Chair, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, Santa Clara Valley/Oakland-East Bay/San Francisco Joint Chapter
- Voting Member, IEEE P2940 Standard for Measuring Robot Agility Working Group
- Voting Member, ASTM Committee F45 on Robotics, Automation, and Autonomous Systems
- Cantonese Chinese
Dr. Wang is a licensed Professional Engineer, certified TensorFlow Developer, and certified SolidWorks Mechanical Designer. He specializes in mechanical design, engineering analysis, engineering software development, big data analytics and visualization, time-series data science modelling, anomaly detection and failure analysis. He brings value to clients in consumer electronics, oil and gas, energy and utility, industrial and manufacturing, medical devices, semiconductors, law firms, investment firms and beyond, by providing technical and scientific solutions to their most challenging problems.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Wang was a research fellow at Siemens and developed fault diagnosis algorithms for intelligent car manufacturing by integrating physics engines, semantic web technologies, signal processing, and artificial intelligence.
As a senior researcher at Runway Innovation, he used machine learning to predict companies' future revenue based on present innovation effort and helped Fortune Global 500 companies with their digital transformation journey. He also performed technology due diligence and deal flow analysis for venture capital investors and asset management firms. For his work and expertise, he was made a finalist for The Technical Analyst Award.
During his postdoctoral research at UC Berkeley, he designed and developed an automatic robotic repair system while also performing fatigue testing on a folding-based hexapod robots using a treadmill and a motion capture system.
Dr. Wang received a doctoral degree from ETH Zurich, where he developed both climbing and pick-and-place robots constructed from thermoplastic adhesives. He performed mechanical testing for adhesive strength on various materials while developing and validating deformation models using thermal imaging and temperature sensors.
As a Sustainable Development Goals Positive Change Ambassador by Rotterdam School of Management, Dr. Wang is knowledgeable in quantifying electromechanical systems' environmental impacts.