- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2015
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2013
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2005
- Professional Engineer, Georgia, #PE041588
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD)
- Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator (CVFI)
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (CSSGB)
- Georgia Institute of Technology Leadership Fellow, 2013-2015
- Sam Nunn Security Fellow, 2013
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, 2012
- IPST Paper Science and Engineering Fellowship, 2011
- G.W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering Presidents' Fellowship, 2010
- North Carolina State University John T. Caldwell Scholarship, 2001
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers—ASME (member)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers—AIChE (member)
- National Association of Fire Investigators—NAFI (member)
- SAE International—formerly Society of Automotive Engineers (member)
Dr. Anderson applies his mechanical and chemical engineering expertise to help clients solve complex multidisciplinary problems across a broad range of industries. He is a licensed Professional Engineer and holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Dr. Anderson is an expert in thermal and fluid systems. His project experience includes mobile and stationary engines, on- and off-road vehicles, exhaust aftertreatment and emissions systems, pumps and compressors, heat exchangers, boilers, furnaces, refrigeration systems, piping systems, cryogenic liquids, textiles and textile technology, consumer products, and medical devices.
Dr. Anderson specializes in accident evaluation and prevention, root cause analysis, fire and explosion investigation, product development and validation, and intellectual property disputes. Dr. Anderson has testified as an expert in various litigation matters in state and federal court. His expertise has also been utilized in international arbitration disputes, as an independent third party in submissions to federal agencies, and directly by industrial clients to evaluate and/or improve products or processes.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Anderson worked for five years as an engine system design and development engineer at Caterpillar, Inc., on machine-engine integration for numerous products including skid steer loaders, backhoe loaders and track-type tractors. While at Caterpillar, he developed engine, transmission, and hydraulic implement cooling systems, participated in root cause investigations of engine and engine system component failures, and supported the implementation of advanced exhaust emissions aftertreatment technologies including selective catalytic reduction (SCR) and diesel particulate filtration (DPF). He was involved in all phases of the product development process, ranging from conceptualization to performance modeling, prototype design/fabrication, and testing/validation. Dr. Anderson executed numerous projects at Caterpillar as a Six Sigma Green Belt involving Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE), and Design for Six Sigma (DFSS).
Dr. Anderson's publications list and examples of project experience are provided at the end of this curriculum vitae.