- Ph.D., Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2013
- B.S.E., Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2005
- Certified in Public Health (CPH)
- Certified Product Safety Manager (CPSM)
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- OSHA Authorized General Industry Trainer
- Adjunct Lecturer (Occupational and Product Safety Management), Industrial and Operations Engineering Department, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2014-2018
- Risk Science Center Fellowship, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 2011
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Traineeship, Education and Research Center (ERC), School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2007-2009
- Marian Sarah Parker Scholarship, Human Factors Group, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI), 2004-2005
- Past President, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2022-Present
- Chair, Professional Development Committee, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2022-Present
- Member, American Society of Safety Professionals, 2018-Present
- Member, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2014-Present
- Member, Society for Risk Analysis, 2011-2014, 2019-Present
- President, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2020-2022
- Vice President, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication 2018-2020
- Secretary/Treasurer, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2017-2018
- Chair, Board of Directors, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2016-2017
- Member of the Board of Directors, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2014-2016
- Co-Chair, Program Committee, Society for Chemical Hazard Communication, 2012-2014
- Member, Technical Committee, Risk Science Symposium, Risk Science Center, University of Michigan, 2011
- Member, Junior Faculty Search Committee, Risk Science Center, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 2010-2011
Dr. Diebol's areas of expertise include human factors, product and occupational safety, risk communication, and chemical hazard communication. She uses her expertise to evaluate the roles of warnings, instructions, risk communications, policies and procedures, standards, and regulations in safety and environmental health behaviors. Dr. Diebol's expertise has been applied to a broad range of consumer, occupational, and community settings. Dr. Diebol also provides expert analysis and testimony in cases involving product liability, occupational safety, personal injury, and toxic torts, among others.
As a Certified Product Safety Manager and a Certified Safety Professional, Dr. Diebol regularly evaluates product literature (warnings, instructions, user manuals, labels, safety data sheets, advertisements, instructional videos, etc.), as well as occupational safety management policies, programs, procedures, and training materials. She has experience evaluating compliance with a variety of regulatory requirements including those administered by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA/Proposition 65), and other state, federal, and international regulatory bodies. She is authorized to teach both 10- and 30-hour OSHA General Industry Outreach Training courses. Dr. Diebol also has experience assessing conformance with industry and consensus standards by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), International Organization for Standardization (ISO), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and others, including the ANSI Z535 series, ANSI Z400.1/Z129.1, and ISO 45001.
Dr. Diebol has obtained specialized knowledge of current and historical risk communication and safety management practices through researching federal and state regulations, industry and consensus standards, and technical literature dating back to the early 1900s. She also has experience using a variety of qualitative and quantitative research and data collection methods, including interviews, focus groups, questionnaires, mailed and online surveys, and time studies. Based on her research and professional practice, Dr. Diebol has lectured at the University of Michigan and at national and international conferences on topics related to safety management, risk communication, chemical hazard communication, environmental health, and process safety.
Prior to joining Exponent, Dr. Diebol was a safety and human factors consultant at a firm in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as well as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Michigan, teaching a senior-level engineering course in Product and Occupational Safety Management. From 2012 to 2017, she also taught a professional development course regarding human factors for chemical hazard communication in consumer and industrial settings. Dr. Diebol currently serves as Past President and Professional Development Committee Chair of the Society for Chemical Hazard Communication. Dr. Diebol completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Michigan College of Engineering and conducted her graduate research in risk communication at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.