Developing viable safety warnings
Safety messages come in many forms, including printed text, auditory signals, and human or computerized voice commands. Capitalizing on formatting elements may aid in the detection, recognition, and processing of such information. However, Exponent studies have shown that individual factors, such as fatigue or information-seeking behaviors, and motivation to follow safety information can influence warning effectiveness more so than these formatting elements.
Exponent's scientists research a variety of human factors to better understand behavioral response to warning and safety information, including the behavioral influences on warning effectiveness. Exponent's research enables our clients to successfully develop safety instructions that meet unique business needs, accurately reflect hazards and instructions for use, consider state-of-the-art conventions and formatting, and capitalize on a scientific understanding of human information processing.
Whether you're developing warnings and commands for vehicles, manufacturing, professional equipment, or consumer products, Exponent provides advice at every stage of design and development.
For 50+ years, we’ve thrived on solving unstructured problems that require bespoke solutions. Some of our services include:
• Evaluating current and proposed warnings communications
• Consolidating and optimizing messages to reduce complexity
• Developing risk communications including text, pictures, auditory, and visual signals
• Identifying patterns of unsafe user behaviors
• Risk analysis
• Developing instructional and supplementary product information
• Reviewing industry and competing product manufacturer warning practices
• Analyzing manufacturer injury data
• Performing assessments and observations of user-product interactions and reading comprehension
• Addressing "failure to warn" issues
• Assessing the impact of public safety campaigns
• Evaluating safety training programs
• Analyzing prior behavior and compliance with safety information
Our Capabilities Are Unparalleled
With expertise in over 90 disciplines and hundreds of capabilities, tools, and methodologies — we get to the root of even the most complex challenges and give you the objective answers you need.
Accident Investigation & Reconstruction: Human Factors
Multidisciplinary accident reconstruction to identify root causes, reduce risk, and improve safety.
Improve User Research & Testing
Human factors investigations for data-driven product and process design decisions.
Occupational & Process Safety
Expert consulting support for mitigating human behavior-related work and process safety risks.
Product Design & Safety
Human factors and risk analyses to help clients improve designs for a range of products.
Centers for Scientific User Research (CSUR)
Pioneering scientific user experience research across the full lifecycle of consumer, industrial, automotive, and medical device products.
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.
Corporate Vice President, Practice Director and Principal Scientist
Senior Managing Scientist