How can laboratory test results of chemical exposure data differ from the actual field sites?
The processes and methods for conducting environmental and ecological assessments are becoming increasingly complex, both in terms of estimating potential exposures and in utilizing data generated on different types of non-target organisms including mammals, birds, fish, aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates, soil micro- and macro-organisms, and aquatic and terrestrial plants.
We help our clients understand the impacts from chemical toxicity and exposure rates, including their chemical processes and interactions in the environment. Exponent conducts the modeling utilized by U.S. and EU regulatory agencies and delivers clients a thorough, up-front understanding of how agencies will evaluate a chemical. Additionally, we provide feedback and recommendations if mitigation measures are needed.
Our multidisciplinary teams conduct higher-tier environmental evaluations, such as using the full toxicology data sets, rather than the limited use and extrapolations of toxicity data that are typically used by regulators in a screening-level assessment. This method provides clients with more detailed, realistic estimates of exposure, and often results in a very different picture of potential risk than what is provided by the standard regulatory screening-level assessment.
For 50+ years, we’ve thrived on solving unstructured problems that require bespoke solutions. Some of our services include:
• Efficiently evaluate and respond to assessments conducted by regulatory agencies
• Conduct higher-tier modeling and assessments to address regulatory issues
• Estimate potential exposure of non-target organisms to chemicals in different environmental media
• Estimate human exposure to chemicals in drinking water or contact with the media
• Conduct both acute/sub-chronic and long-term/chronic risk assessments for human dietary assessments and ecological risk assessments
• Environmental fate modeling
• Write dossiers and conduct risk assessments compliant with U.S. and EU regulatory systems
• Participate in various EU expert technical groups to develop guidance (e.g., FOCUS) and advise on forthcoming changes to the system
Our Capabilities Are Unparalleled
With expertise in over 90 disciplines and hundreds of capabilities, tools, and methodologies — we get to the root of even the most complex challenges and give you the objective answers you need.
Extensive support for compliance with local, state, and federal permitting requirements.
Environmental Risk Assessment
Risk assessments for legacy spills and contamination, potential project and product impacts, and environmental remediation support.
Meet changing sustainability regulations with rigorous science and experienced consulting services.
Modeling & Analysis
Experienced environmental analysis and data modeling for a range of complex environmental challenges.
Natural Resource Damage Assessment
Multidisciplinary natural resource damage assessments (NRDAs) to support navigating complex interactions with federal, state, and tribal trustees.
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.
Practice Director and Principal Scientist
Senior Managing Scientist
Senior Managing Scientist