How does Exponent's Materials & Corrosion Engineering team provide an objective understanding of materials challenges?
Failure analysis is the process of collecting data, developing hypotheses, testing hypotheses, and analyzing everything to determine the cause of a failure. We apply lessons from past failures across industries to help make the future safer and more sustainable. From energy to electronics to medical devices to systems and controls — understanding of materials failures is critical to ensuring product and process safety.
At our global labs, Exponent's multidisciplinary teams combine rigorous testing applications and methods — from Computed Tomography (CT) scanning to X-ray imaging and microscopy. However, the differentiated value that we deliver is unparalleled evaluation and analysis capabilities, resulting in evidence-based insights for better business decisions at every point in your product or process lifecycle.
- Problem Definition:
- Systematic definition of inputs to reduce total troubleshooting time
- Identification of inputs via production experience and engineering judgment
- Identification of Correlations:
- Searching for values or a combination of values associated with the failure or defect
- Applying troubleshooting experience to achieve efficient, cost-effective searching
- Recreation of the failure to confirm causation
- Augmenting organizational knowledge through sharing success and documenting lessons learned
Summary of Services
For 50+ years, we've thrived on solving unstructured problems that require bespoke solutions. Some of our services include:
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.