How does Exponent help you plan and execute strategic product stewardship?
As consumers continue to express increasing concerns over the ecological and environmental impacts of industrial processes, chemicals in consumer products, and used packaging materials, companies are more motivated than ever to adopt or improve product stewardship programs.
How does product stewardship work?
A properly designed and executed product stewardship program includes paths for both the producer and the consumer to take responsibility for the recycling or disposal of the product, byproducts, and packaging at different stages of the product lifecycle. Though often used interchangeably, there are important policy and financial differences between extended producer responsibility (EPR) and stewardship programs. EPR programs place full responsibility and costs on producers, whereas stewardship programs are partially funded by government or consumer-paid environmental fees.
Exponent helps you reduce the health, safety, ecological, environmental, and social impacts of your products and packaging.
Exponent's product stewardship experts have the technical, regulatory, and professional experience necessary to address the complex product stewardship challenges affecting your business. We provide you with a proactive approach to minimizing a range of harmful impacts of your products and technologies.
We assist clients in aligning product stewardship goals and initiatives with global stakeholders including:
- The EU's REACH chemical registration program
- The UN's Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals
- The World Health Organization's harmonization standards for Chemical Risk Assessment
For 50+ years, we’ve thrived on solving unstructured problems that require bespoke solutions. Some of our services include:
• Advice on what information should be included on labels and product brochures
• Recommendations for information that should be included on safety data sheets (SDS)
• Evaluations of processes, machinery, packaging, and transportation
• Recommendations for laboratory testing services to support product registration
• Product registration submissions to regulatory authorities
• Assessment of existing product stewardship documentation and practices
• Practical solutions for every stage of the process or project lifecycle
• Evaluations of appropriate alternatives and consequences for end-of-life product disposal and recycling
Our Capabilities Are Unparalleled
With expertise in over 90 disciplines and hundreds of capabilities, tools, and methodologies — we get to the root of even the most complex challenges and give you the objective answers you need.
Extensive support for compliance with local, state, and federal permitting requirements.
Environmental Risk Assessment
Risk assessments for legacy spills and contamination, potential project and product impacts, and environmental remediation support.
Meet changing sustainability regulations with rigorous science and experienced consulting services.
Modeling & Analysis
Experienced environmental analysis and data modeling for a range of complex environmental challenges.
Natural Resource Damage Assessment
Multidisciplinary natural resource damage assessments (NRDAs) to support navigating complex interactions with federal, state, and tribal trustees.
Our global and comprehensive expertise across industries gives us a deep understanding of current challenges, best industry practices, and the implications of emerging technologies.
Senior Managing Scientist
Senior Managing Scientist