Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
The Electrical Engineering and Computer Science practice is home to a large team of highly trained engineers and scientists with qualifications from top universities, and industrial experience around the world. Our team’s expertise covers a broad range of disciplines in electrical engineering, microelectronics, computer engineering, and computer science. We perform investigations in a wide array of areas, including optics, power systems, semiconductors, consumer products, vehicles, medical devices, radio waves, software, networks, controls, and batteries—to name a few. We provide clients with detailed investigations of complex problems, to develop independent findings grounded in scientific and engineering principles.
Our capabilities include accident investigation, reliability testing, fire investigations, failure analysis, manufacturer auditing, risk analysis, computer systems forensics, cybersecurity, software design and source-code analysis, embedded systems, system design review, intellectual property analysis, and prototyping. We have used our capabilities to assist clients in a variety of projects spanning product design validation, safety reviews, cybersecurity risk analysis, vendor selection, testing strategy, ongoing reliability and quality screening, product launch support, litigation consulting (e.g., intellectual property, product liability, anti-trust), product compliance analysis, returns/recalls, failure analysis, and technology due diligence.
We have substantial experience in a variety of applications of electrical engineering and computer science. Examples include:
- We assist clients with computational modeling, field measurements, data analysis, and visualization. We model, measure, and analyze electric and magnetic fields (radiation) at several frequency ranges, including power-line, radio, microwave, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, x-ray, and gamma ray—for comparison to guidelines for exposure or interference, and for device analysis.
- Where appropriate, we develop technical prototype systems to enable our investigative techniques. For instance, we have developed and used laser triangulation systems to perform non-contact, non-destructive 3D profilometry to determine surface profiles of PC boards; and fiber optic laser-based systems for various sensing modalities, such as acoustic detection and automobile self-guided transport.
- We assist clients in the development of biometric technology through user studies. We develop testing protocols, defining relevant populations, measuring and assessing the performance of biometric technologies, and conducting final data analysis for algorithm development.
- We investigate electric shock and electrocution incidents. We scientifically evaluate all of the evidence and facts to determine the body current path, magnitude, and duration and compare them to scientific literature about the physiological response of the human body.
- We analyze hardware and software design and source code to evaluate intellectual property. We analyze design and source code embodied in a variety of programming languages and environments across a wide range of application areas, including automotive systems, computer networking and Internet-based systems, medical devices, and semiconductors. Additionally, we evaluate patent validity and infringement, copyright infringement, and trade secret misappropriation.
Read our newest Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Newsletter.
News & Events